Spider-Girl #69

 



Writer: Tom DeFalco
Penciller: Ron Frenz

Synopsis: Dr. Jade and the new Doctor Octopus kidnap John Jameson. 

Comments: John's wife is Ashley Kafka, who was a psychiatrist for supervillains at Ravencroft Institute. I don't think Ravencroft ever caught on like Arkham Asylum. 



First appearance of Chris Jarkoer who looks like a young Ron Frenz to me. 




Surprised "whipped" in used in that context for an all ages comic. 



The rogue genetic engineer Ashley is referring to is probably Arnim Zola. Zola kidnapped the homeless in Thunderbolts #4. 







Carolyn Trainer (or Trainor) first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #406, which was written by J.M. DeMatteis. However, most of her appearances in the 90s were written by Tom DeFalco. 




John's alter ego Man-Wolf first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #124 (John himself first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #1). He also went by the name Stargod when he was in werewolf form. Not to be confused with Starlord (Peter Quill). 





Comments

  1. I can't remember why, but I assumed it was a reference to the High Evolutionary. Maybe I should revisit the issues again some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short lived Spider-Man Unlimited TV show made the High Evolutionary the main villain and John Jameson had a history with him. While the H.E. has experimented on some humans like Burce Banner, Wanda and Pietro, the mutating humans seemed more Zola to me. Dr. Hydro is a bit more obscure but another candidate. Mark Gruenwald said they (H.E., Hydro, Zola, Mr. Sinister, Magneto) all had the same benefactor in Phaeder when it came to genetics research.

      Delete
    2. That's very interesting! I wish I had my OHOTMU with me all of a sudden.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Randall Frenz Interview

Spider-Girl #59

The Amazing Spider-Girl: The Dance