DeFalco/Frenz Retrospective: Krrish: Menace of the Monkey Men

 


Writer: Tom DeFalco
Penciler: Ron Frenz

Synopsis: A story featuring Krrish, India's superhero. 

Comments: Ron wrote on his Facebook page that editor Scott Peterson contacted him when the movie company, FilmKRAFT, behind the Bollywood blockbusters featuring Krrish wanted an old fashioned Marvel comic book, Peterson knew that DeFalco and Frenz's style would play into their sensibilities. I first read this on Hoopla, a library app, and I remember asking Ron about it when I met him in Akron, OH in 2017.  When the project was announced it got a warm write up in Indian edition of Business Insider.   This story is kind a change of pace for DeFalco and Frenz in that it's set in a different country. If go through their body of work, DeFalco and Frenz stay usually in New York City. If one of their heroes travels, they go to a fictional countries like Belgruin and Latveria or other dimensions. 

All that talk about powers and responsibility, where have I heard that before? 



I guess Priya is Krrish's Lois Lane. Her boss, Mr. Rao, looks like Bobby Steele in the latest Thunderstrike mini-series. 




We get some DeFalco/Frenz "Hoo-Ha" action here. 



Like Lois Lane, Priya gets kidnapped by the bad guy. I noticed that Krrish's foes are constantly in awe of his power. It's like a bunch of fanboys are trying to kill him. 






The villain's fashion statement reminds me of Man-Ape. 




This villain here reminds me of the Ultra-Humanite. 




I'm not really sure what all of Krrish's powers are.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Randall Frenz Interview

Spider-Girl #59

The Amazing Spider-Girl: The Dance